/*point table upper*/ -->

Sunday 1 May 2016

Vijendra singh continues his winning streak

twitter 
Good news for vijendra fans everywhere as he has defeated Maitouze Royer of France in a super middleweight contest at the Copper Box Arena, Stanford to continue his extending his winning streak to five after going pro.

Royer is the most experienced opponent Vijender has faced till date. Royer has been in 44 bouts and have won 14 wins.

The fight was Vijender's longest fight against the 29-year old Frenchman playing six round where he was dominant throughout. Playing a bit safe in the first round, Vijender opened fire in the second round throwing punches on Royer. The fight ended in five rounds. One of his punch left and cut on Royer's left eye.

"Royer is a good fighter and has boxed with some good ones in all these years. I discussed with the coaches and planned this fight so it is going right for me. Pro is totally different from amateur boxing. I am a little bit more experienced in pro boxing now so that is good," Vijender said after the win.

"I am happy for my fifth knockout win in a row. Facing an experienced boxer was not that easy for me but I played as per my basics and tried some new punches which helped me to win against Matiouze Royer. The best part is that I started attacking Royer from the starting of first round and my confidence level was gone up," he added.

"He is a good fighter. I have seen his videos before this fight. With this win, my morale is really up and I am confident of doing well in all future fights."


In a six-round fight, the referee ended the match in the fifth round after Royer, a 44-bout pro, was unable to withstand the attack from the Indian Olympic bronze medallist.

After a measured start in the first round, Vijender kept a cool head and looked for opportunities to show off his moves. And the chance came in the second round when one of his jabs thudded into Royer's face, that left him with a bleeding eye.

From then on, it was capitalization time for Vijender and Royer was pushed on to the backfoot. In the third round, Vijender jabbed Royer in the ribs, a blow from which he had to take extra time to recover.

Even then Royer was up and running to take the bout into the fourth round but then Vijender didn't lose focus. He once again punched Royer and despite his closed guard, it hurt the Frenchman in his gum guards, that earned the Bhiwani man another point. It was only a matter of time that Royer felt the hurt and needed medical attention from the doctors on the ring side. Moments later, the referee ended the match.

After the win Vijender said, "Royer is a good fighter and has boxed with some good ones in all these years. I discussed with the coaches and planned this fight so it is going right for me. Pro is totally different from amateur boxing. I am a little bit more experienced in pro boxing now so that is good."

Vijender's next fight is on May 13 after which his managers are looking for a title bout in India on July 16 and Vijender can't wait for it.

"It will be a home coming fight! I have invited from the prime minister to Bollywood stars, to cricketers to attend the match. It is going to be a great spectacle and will be a new era as it will be the first time in India," Vijender said.

No comments:

Post a Comment